It might be easier to ask, “what can’t digital signage do”, because there isn’t much you can’t achieve with digital signage. In this article we’ll investigate what digital signage can do for you today, and what you can expect in the future.
Digital signage is the ideal communication tool
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you have seen and experienced digital signage in some form. It’s difficult to avoid digital signage displays, because they’re popping up all over the place. Why?
Digital signage has become so popular, it’s virtually unavoidable.
Here are some examples:
- Hospitals use digital signage displays to publish emergency room procedures, and keep people entertained while they wait. In this case, displays handle dual duties. They inform, and they entertain, so time goes by quicker. Gone are the days of whiteboards or hastily written notes stuck on a wall. Modern hospital environments rely on digital signage to provide up to the minute information to patients and staff.
- Car dealerships have gone through massive changes as cars have become more technology-laden. It’s getting more difficult to remember all the features for every model, and every year brings more changes. Even the most motivated staff can’t keep up with all the information. Enter digital signage. Strategically positioned displays help shoppers browse for information at their own pace. Even sales staff can bring up technical specifications and options lists on-demand. The introduction of digital signage in car showrooms has been great for business.
- Houses of worship were early adopters of digital signage technologies. These institutions quickly recognized the need to communicate with members and visitors, in an engaging and empowering fashion. These venues have always offered interesting challenges to traditional communication methods. What started as a projector and PowerPoint presentation soon became full-fledged digital signage display networks made up of flat panel displays, LED panels, projectors and touch-screens. Today, congregations of all sizes benefit from digital signage.
- Quick service restaurants are always on the lookout for innovative ways to communicate, and market to their customers. In a world of shrinking profit margins, every penny counts so it’s important to deliver menu information and pricing in the most efficient way. Products that are sold out are promptly replaced with other items, and prices can be adjusted instantly to promote overstocks.
- Retail stores use digital signage to compete with smartphone showrooming. Customer have less incentive to shop by phone, if in-store signage delivers all the information they need at the point of decision. It’s easier to make an educated choice when you have all the data. It’s why progressive retailers compare competitor’s pricing with their own, using in-store digital signs. Pricing is changed in real-time so it’s easy to respond to market forces instantly.
- Sport stadiums cater to massive crowds, and keeping everyone informed has always been a challenge. Visitors want to know their team’s scores as they navigate the arena, so team owners have invested in digital signage displays. Enter any modern stadium and you will find LCD screens installed in every conceivable location. You will find them in hallways, next to concession stands, near stadium entrances… even in some bathrooms! These displays provide current game information, food promotions, future event advertisements. They can even be used to show emergency messages, and help in the evacuation process should a problem arise.
- Government offices use digital signage to provide better service in customer facing scenarios. You will commonly find digital signage displays installed in motor vehicle offices, city and town halls, police and fire stations, information kiosks, and community centers. Digital signage displays inform visitors and help reduce dwell times in waiting rooms.
- Casinos and gaming facilities have been the biggest users of digital signage. It’s easy to know why. These venues need the wow factor that only flat panel displays, and LED panels can deliver. Bright colors and full motion graphics entertain and captivate customers while they try their luck at the gaming tables. Digital signage has also been incorporated into modern slot machine equipment to make them even more enticing. LED panels are often used outside casino facilities to attract more players. Las Vegas still has the biggest and most elaborate displays, but as the technology has become more affordable, casinos all over the world have made the switch. In fact, they’ve bee been going “all in” with digital signage.
- Cruise ships keep getting larger, and more complicated to navigate. New ships are also packed with more technology than ever before. As ship floor plans become more complex, digital signage gets tasked with wayfinding duties. Touch screens are installed across the entire ship, so passengers can navigate these floating mazes. Today’s cruise ships feature retail shopping, restaurants, casinos, fitness clubs and health spas. Each sector benefits from digital signage displays, just as their land-based counterparts.
- Fitness clubs use digital signage to communicate with members about activities, class schedules, promotions, contests, and more. Fitness club operators understand the need to engage with members and keep them on the right track, so they can achieve their goals. Music videos can be intermixed with circuit training information to keep members motivated each time they visit. Digital signage is also great at promoting local juice bars and supplement stores.
- Tennis and golf clubs rely on digital signage to provide useful information to members and visitors. Wayfinding signage can also play a vital role in orienting players around golf courses. By locating interactive wayfinding tablets at key locations around the course, management can provide additional information, including score keeping. Progressive clubs are also using interactive technologies to increase concession sales by letting players order food and drinks anywhere along the course. Tennis clubs offer similar challenges as fitness clubs as there is always a need to keep members informed about new activities and promotions.
- Health spas are all about rest and relaxation, and the reception area is a perfect location for playing soothing video and audio content. Whether showing a majestic waterfall in Hawaii or lapping waves on a deserted island beach, digital signage sets the mood for what’s bound to be a wonderful experience.
- Hotels welcome countless numbers of visitors each year. One of the biggest challenges is how to help people navigate an unfamiliar environment in their native language. Interactive digital signage displays are the answer. Strategically located interactive signage can deliver multiple types of information, in any language. Wayfinding signage helps people find their way, whether its displaying a basic hotel floor plan, or a multi-site venue. Places of interest, evacuation routes, and every other relevant information can be displayed and accessed through a user-friendly interface.
- Veterinarian offices can be noisy places, especially if Fido decides he’s not staying put for his shots. Here again, digital signage displays make the perfect communication medium. Smart veterinarians know waiting rooms are great locations for informational displays. There are opportunities to inform, educate, and entertain pet owners as they wait.
- Banks, credit unions and other financial institutions understand the need to communicate with their clients. Financial institutions produce and consume an infinite stream of digital data every day. Interest rates, Forex rates, stock prices and other financial data are essential pieces of information that needs to be shared with staff and customers. Digital signage is an essential communication tool for these institutions. Data can be included with product information, new promotions and other customer-centric data.
The Navori QL digital signage software empowers these types of applications worldwide. The software is available as an On-Premise CMS or Cloud based software. We invite you to look at QL’s feature set and see how it can empower your next project.